Bake Sale Fundraisers: 7 Reasons NOT to Have Bake Sales
Many community groups such as school PTA, churches, sports teams and others plan bake sales to support their programs. Everyone likes bake sale items like cookies and cupcakes, so why not have a sale?
While having a bake sale might sound like a good idea, here are 7 reasons NOT to have a bake sale:
1. Bake Sale Item Prices - Bake sale items are typically priced quite low. After all, you can only charge so much for a little zippy bag of cookies. Prices generally range from 50 cents to $10 for a cake. So unless they give an extra donation, each person who makes a purchase is contributing a very small amount.
2. Impossible Volume - Considering the low price point of bake sale items, parents would have to do a lot of baking to come up with enough items to generate a good income at the end of the day. With baked goods it’s just not possible.
3. Potential Funds Raised –Unless you only need to raise $100 or less your group is not likely to reach it’s goal. Why would you spend so much effort on something that produces so little results?
4. Too Much Work - Anyone who’s ever baked items for a sale (and I have) knows how much work it is. It may take all afternoon to bake a few dozen cookies and cupcakes. At best your hard work will fetch the organization $10-20. Was it really worth it?
5. Perishable Foods – Baked goods need to be sold the day of the sale. If bad weather, a low crowd or something else thwarts the bake sale, you can’t save them for later.
6. Too Many Fundraisers –Because bake sales generate such a low amount of income for the group, it becomes just one more fundraiser people are asked to participate in. After awhile even people who support your group will get tired of being asked.
7. Divides Your Efforts – Because your group is spending time planning and preparing bake sale items, it takes time away from fundraisers that could be more profitable. Why not focus all of your efforts on one or two fundraisers that will produce much more results?
Instead of wasting time with bake sales, find a fundraiser that is the best match for your group. An effective fundraiser is appealing to a wide majority of your supporters, brings in the most amount of money compared to the effort and doesn’t cost more than is appropriate.
SuperFundraiser.com has a unique Matchmaker system that will help your group find a fundraiser that will actually produce results. Schools & other youth groups save time and effort while raising more funds using SuperFundraiser.com.
Sims has been fundraising for
various charities for over
10 years and is dedicated to
helping non profits raise more
for their causes. Visit her Step
By Step Fundraising website
to get your free copy of the